After a Botulinum toxin treatment, you may have some swelling and redness which should subside within the next few hours.
- If bruising occurs, it may take a few days to subside. Arnica tablets, gel or cream can be used.
- A headache may occur after treatment, if required you can take paracetamol. Avoid Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Nurofen etc as these will increase the risk and severity of bruising.
- Exercise the treated muscles by tensing them and relaxing them for the first hour after treatment as this helps the Botulinum Toxin to be absorbed more quickly into active muscles.
- Refrain from touching the treated area for at least the next 3-4 hours. After this time, if you need to wash the area, do so gently and pat it dry carefully with a soft towel. Do not rub the treated area for 48 hours.
- Remain upright for 4 hours and avoid excessive bending during this time. If you must bend down to pick something up, bend your knees and keep your face upright.
- For 48 hours you should avoid alcohol and exposure to UV and extreme heat i.e. sauna, steam, sun beds, very hot showers, strenuous exercise etc,
- When applying your make-up or moisturiser use dabbing motions instead of rubbing or spreading for 48 hours.
- Try your best to avoid sleeping on the injected areas. This will minimise the physical pressure and let the Botox settle into your muscles.
- Botulinum toxin takes from 2 to 14 days to become effective. This is dependent on the strength of the muscles injected and the individual response.
- Do not have any facial treatments for 14 days.
- Do not fly within the first 24 hours.
- Please return in 2-3 weeks for a follow up review appointment.
Treatment with Botulinum Toxin is temporary. To maintain the effect treatment is recommended every 3-4 months. Please make a ‘top-up’ review appointment in 2-3 weeks’ time. The effects/benefits of a Botox treatment reach their maximum about 2 weeks following treatment. Therefore, treatment result is assessed at this appointment. There may still be some undesired movement, lines or asymmetry that needs to be corrected, so a complimentary ‘top up’ treatment is given to achieve the best possible clinical correction to the treated area(s), based on the musculature of your face.
It is important to understand that there is no ‘standard dose’ for a botulinum treatment. A personal prescription for treatment is reached by assessing your face, the size and position of your facial muscles as well as the way the muscles move in relation to one another. This personal prescription will form the basis of your next treatment so assess how this treatment lasts as adjustments can be made at your next treatment appointment in 3-4 months.